Friday, June 8, 2007

I've never been hit by a train, but I've played someone who did onstage

AP Photo: Carlos Silva winds and delivers during
tonight's 8-5 loss to the Washington Nationals

I've ridden the Minneapolis Light Rail about four times in my life, and today happened to be the day that some poor old lady got herself waxed at the Franklin Street station, meaning a long detour by bus and a lot of people with edgy nerves and tempers. Still, the beautiful weather and the fact that it was a free Friday afternoon kept my spirits high as I commuted home from my first day at Real World work.


As promised, an update on the residence and employment situation: As mentioned above, I started my first day of work today, taking calls for a Minneapolis consulting agency. Apparently, it works like this: Corporations hire this company to handle customer-service matters during things like mergers and class-action lawsuits, which in turn hires out lowly temps like myself to do the dirty work of dealing with elderly folks wondering why they got a letter about an insurance policy they don't remember because it was drawn up in 1937 or small-business owners furious that they received a whopping cent from a class-action settlement that cost them nothing.

As far as location: After a month of traveling abroad in August and September, I plan on moving to the great city of Memphis, home to one of my favorite book/movies (starring an man so transcendent of film, he has since come to be known as more than an actor but an icon and legend of our time). Why uproot myself from the land I've called home all my life? Good question, but I can tell you what it's not. All I can say is that there will be a couple of good college friends, hopefully more than a couple Stubby Clapp sightings, and if nothing else a year or two in an environment more foreign to me than Germany has become. And now, just for the hell of it, something everyone needs to see lest they begin to wonder why they ever went to college:

No comments: